Book Review: When a Scot Ties the Knot (Castles Ever After #3) by Tessa Dare

Rating: 5 Stars

 
Published August 25th 2015 by Avon
Summary: On the cusp of her first London season, Miss Madeline Gracechurch was shyly pretty and talented with a drawing pencil, but hopelessly awkward with gentlemen. She was certain to be a dismal failure on the London marriage mart. So Maddie did what generations of shy, awkward young ladies have done: she invented a sweetheart.

A Scottish sweetheart. One who was handsome and honorable and devoted to her, but conveniently never around. Maddie poured her heart into writing the imaginary Captain MacKenzie letter after letter … and by pretending to be devastated when he was (not really) killed in battle, she managed to avoid the pressures of London society entirely.

Until years later, when this kilted Highland lover of her imaginings shows up in the flesh. The real Captain Logan MacKenzie arrives on her doorstep—handsome as anything, but not entirely honorable. He’s wounded, jaded, in possession of her letters… and ready to make good on every promise Maddie never expected to keep.

(from Goodreads)

 

Review: Loved this book. Of course Tessa Dare can pretty much do no wrong, so I suppose that’s not too surprising. I loved Maddie and Logan, and love that they both have a traumatic past that causes present-day problems, which they help each other get through. Maddie is maginificently weird (which is fantastic), and Logan and those letters... I am die.

The (limited) supporting cast is also a treat, especially Maddie’s rather eccentric aunt and the hulking but addled Grant.

This is the third book in a series but is easily totally perfect as a stand alone. I’m pretty sure what connects the series is that they’re all left castles by the same fellow, so you’re not missing out on anything or spoiling the first two books in the series by reading this one first.

I spent most of this novel unable to put it down, with my heart in my throat and tears welling in my eyes. Definitely one of those books where you just ache for the characters. If you’re looking for a light fluffy read, this may not be the book for you as it rather tears at your heart (but I do promise you a happy ending).

4 comments:

  1. I am rather surprised you haven't read this before now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read Tessa yet-just started my first Lisa Kleypas book-I liked this review as I love HR's!!
    http://justmeandmyblogreviews.blogspot.com/2018/03/the-friday-56_9.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tessa Dare and Lisa Kleypas are two of my favorite historical romance authors. :) The others in my Top 5 would have to be Lenora Bell, Julie Quinn, and Eloisa James.

      Delete

Elley the Book Otter is MOVING

Hello friends! I'm MOVING my blog from Blogger over to Wordpress. If you're following me via Bloglovin, you don't need to do a...