Guest Post :: Peekaboo's Corner - Fancasting Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant

Welcome, dear friends, to another chat in Peekabo’s Corner. I saved that comfy chair over there for you.
Today, we will be discussing a book that Elley already reviewed and that I also devoured, Into The Drowning Deep by Mira Grant. More specifically, Elley and I will tell you who we think should play all these fabulous characters in the film adaption. (PLEASE let there be a film adaption!)


 

Dr. Jillian Toth

Sigourney Weaver as Ellen Ripley in the Alien movies (yassss)
Peekaboo: Is there a possible other choice? Sigourney Weaver is the quintessential badass woman.  I have a few other choices in mind, Claudia Black for instance, but no one who is quite as amazing as Sigourney.
Elley: No, there is, in fact, no other possible choice.

 
Theodore Blackwell
Luke Evans (yes please)
Peekaboo: What can we say about Luke Evans? He’s attractive, he sings, he wears a suit well. He’s a bit younger than Sigourney Weaver but honestly, does it matter? He should be cast in literally everything, and I think he’d make a wonderful Theo Blackwell
Elley: We had a kind of hard time agreeing on who should play Theo. I rejected most of Peekaboo's suggestions and she rejected most of mine, but when we came up with Luke Evans, it was magic. We just knew he has to play Theo.

 
Victoria (Tory) Stewart
Kate Sackhoff (Starbuck, BSG) or Blake Lively
or
Peekaboo: I am Team Blake on this one. Although I do love Katee in literally everything she’s ever been in including White Noise 2 (which was awful), I feel like Blake more embodies the mid-twenties, slightly desperate, searching for answers vibe that Tory has going.
Elley: OK, wait, what? Because when I suggested Blake Lively youuuu said she needed to be more muscley or something!! I'm glad to see you've finally come around to Team Blake.

 
Luis
Elley: For some reason I picture him as Nino Lahiffe from Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir
Peekaboo: I have never seen this show, but whoever this animated dude is fits Luis’s description in my head nicely.

 
Olivia
Dove Cameron
Peekaboo: Yup. Yup yup yup. Yup.
Elley: Mostly because I love her and need to see her in more things. 😉 I also managed to find a LOT of pictures of her with platinum blonde hair and wearing white, just like Olivia!

 
Dr. Hallie Wilson
Isla Fisher
Peekaboo: Who is this person? I have no idea, but she’s a) apparently a good actress and b) looks almost identical to who I pictured in the book, so I’m sold.
Elley: Peekaboo actually suggested another redhead I’d never heard of for this role, but I can’t remember who she said and she drafted this guest post and went with me choice, so I’m rolling with it. 😉 (P.S. She was in Now You See Me and The Wedding Crashers, among other things.) I also like JoAnna Garcia Swisher for this role! She gives off a great big-sister vibe.

 
Dr. Holly Wilson & Heather Wilson
Katie Leclerc
Peekaboo: Katie Leclerc is hard of hearing! She has red hair! She is (roughly) the right age! More important, can we please cast actors who experience a disability that the characters do? Profound yes.
Elley: I pictured her for both of them, since they’re identical twins… haha. I picture the photo on the left as Holly and on the right as Heather, personally.

 
Michi
Dichen Lachman (aka Sierra/Priya from Dollhouse)
Peekaboo: She’s Australian! It’s perfect!  We know she can play kickass roles because of her work in Dollhouse. Literally place her on the boat and voila, golden.
Elley: Can I just say, please, that her character in Dollhouse is Australian of Asian descent. HOW PERFECT IS SHE? (The answer: too perfect.)

 
Jacques
Enver Gjokaj (aka Victor/Anthony from Dollhouse)
Peekaboo:  Again, he is basically perfect. The only thing is, I pictured Jaques as being short and squat, to Michi’s tall Amazonian fabulousness. Other than that, I’m golden.
Elley: As soon as I realized Dichen Lackman would be great at Michi, I knew there was only one man who could be her Jacques. I defy you to find a better couple to fit this pairing.

 
Daniel (was that his name? The Dolphin guy)
Tom Hiddleston
Peekaboo: Is this my excuse to shove Tom Hiddleston into absolutely everything because I love him? Yes, perhaps a bit. But also when I read Daniel, he didn’t stand out a whole lot to me as having lots of defining features, and Hiddles is not a striking individual. Make it so.
Elley: This character didn’t really stand out to me a lot… I’m not sure if I agree with Hiddleston, but I don’t have a better option to forward, so I’ll roll with it! …Wait, did Peekaboo just say Tom Hiddleston is NOT a striking person? He’s gorgeous!

 
Jason
Ansel Elgort
Peekaboo: I nominate Ansel Elgort. Yes, the leather jacket lends nicely to Jason’s smarmy personailty, but also I think he has an attractive face that also sometimes whispers “you want to punch me in the nose”, which is exactly how I picture Jason.
Elley: He just needs more blood coming out of his everywhere.


 
Gregory and Daryl
George Clooney and Russel Tovey
Peekaboo: George Clooney as Gregory. A) he’s done like 42 movies on boats already so filming would be fine, b) he has that austere older gentleman look, but can play the cragley grumpy guy very well. (Again, all those movies.)
Russel Tovey for Daryl, because I’ve seen him play scared, hesitant, really not sure what the fuck is going on in Being Human. Also those ears.
Elley: I picture those two side characters from Monsters Inc, but I’ll roll with this too. No idea who that second fellow is, but I do have to agree with Peekaboo when she says “those ears.”

Elley: So what do you think? Do you agree with our decisions? Or did we miss the mark?
Peekaboo: Do you have any thoughts on who you’d cast for any of the people in Into the Drowning Deep? We’d love to hear your thoughts!
Elley: We forgot Olivia’s cameraman!! What was his name? Ray? I want to cast Jason Momoa as Ray, mostly because he’s fiiiiiine.

 

2 comments:

Elley the Book Otter is MOVING

Hello friends! I'm MOVING my blog from Blogger over to Wordpress. If you're following me via Bloglovin, you don't need to do a...