Discussion: Top 5 Non-Horror Halloween Movies (#blogoween)



Today's #blogoween discussion is hosted by Anna @ The Bursting Bookshelf!

The prompt is pretty straightforward: What are your top five non-horror Halloween movies?

#5 Corpse Bride

"When a shy groom practices his wedding vows in the inadvertent presence of a deceased young woman, she rises from the grave assuming he has married her."
If you've spent any time around my blog before, you know my genre of choice is romance. So of course I need at least one Halloween movie with romantic elements, and The Corpse Bride is wonderful. Plus the songs in this movie are so fun. And I like to think that Victor is Jack Skellington from Nightmare Before Christmas back when he was alive.



#4 Don't Look Under the Bed

"A teen enlists the help of an imaginary friend named Larry Houdini to deal with a prank-playing bogeyman, who's framing her for his dastardly deeds."
OK, if you're not familiar, Don't Look Under the Bed is a Disney Channel Original Movie from 1999. Frances lives in a small town, and as Halloween approaches all these weird pranks start happening, and all evidence points to them being her fault. A boy who calls himself Larry Houdini shows up and 1) tells her he's an imaginary friend, 2) tells her she's being framed by the boogeyman, and 3) offers to help her catch said boogeyman. This movie is the best, and if you haven't watched it you need to. And I'm not just saying that because I have a total soft spot for movies about imaginary friends.



#3 Halloweentown

"After learning she is a witch, a girl helps save a town full of other supernatural creatures."
Another Disney Channel Original Movie, this one is from 1998. (What can I say? Disney gave good Halloween in the late 90's!) There are actually four movies in the series, but the first one is the best. I love the feel of Halloween town, and the plot is really fun. I also like the quasi-romance elements in this one (they're there, I swear!) Also, Debbie Reynolds - 'nuff said.



#2 The Worst Witch

Let's go wayyyy back for this one, all the way to 1986! I'm not talking The Worst Witch series on Netflix, I'm talking the 1986 TV movie."Mildred is one of the young girls at a prestigious witch academy. She can't seem to do anything right and is picked on by classmates and teachers. The headmistress of the school, Miss Cackle, has an evil twin sister (Agatha) who plans to destroy the school. Can Mildred foil the plan before the Grand Wizard (Tim Curry) comes to the Academy for the Halloween celebration you'll never forget?!!" I mean, did you really need to read further than "Tim Curry"? In case you need further proof, check out this video clip of Tim Curry's big song and dance number, with the SUPER HIGH TECH 1986 SPECIAL EFFECTS!


#1 Hocus Pocus

"A curious youngster moves to Salem, where he struggles to fit in before awakening a trio of diabolical witches that were executed in the 17th century."
I can't believe I'm seeing lists without this movie on them! WHAT? Honestly, my entire list would just be Hocus Pocus as all five movies if it could be, haha. Sure, this movie has a plot that's about Max and his sister Dani and him trying to get with Allison and blah blah blah, but we all know what it's really about, and that's the Sanderson sisters.



What are your favorite non-horror Halloween movies?

9 comments:

  1. I really, really like Worst Witch. I know it's kind of a bad movie, but it's still so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my #2 Halloween movie, so you're not going to hear me saying it's a bad movie, LOL. It's not *bad* it's just so very *80's*! Whatever, it's basically my entire childhood and I love it forever. :)

      Delete
  2. Bette Midler forever.
    Also Tim Curry STILL freaks me out in that movie. Whyyyy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOLOLOLOL Smol me totally fell in love with Tim Curry in this movie. I don't even care, I lurve him.

      Delete
  3. I'm so curious about The Worst Witch now...I love Tim Curry. Hocus Pocus is a classic, and I haven't seen The Corpse Bride in awhile now, but it's another goodie.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, The Worst Witch is VERY 1986, but I LOVED it as a kid, and thus still love it as an adult, haha.

      Delete
  4. I've actually never seen any of these movies! I always want to watch some Halloween themed movies around this time of year, but I'm terrible with horror, so I may have to watch a couple of these! I've always meant to watch Corpse Bride, so I might start with that one. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOW HAVE YOU NOT SEEN HOCUS POCUS?!?! GO WATCH IT RIGHT NOW!!!
      Also, Corpse Bride is a great movie. :) I love the songs in it! I hate horror and love Halloween, so these movies are my jam! <3

      Delete
  5. Now I feel like I really need to go watch The Corpse Bride. It sounds fantastic!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

Elley the Book Otter is MOVING

Hello friends! I'm MOVING my blog from Blogger over to Wordpress. If you're following me via Bloglovin, you don't need to do a...