Guest Post: Peekaboo's Corner - The Student Prince (a review)

It's that time again - time for a guest post from the lovely Ariel, aka Peekaboo. Today she's talking about one of her favorite fanfics.

*pats the overstuffed chair*
Take a seat! Don’t mind the dust. Welcome to Peekaboo’s Corner.
 
This whole idea of gay romance is pretty new, as far as publishing goes. Especially if you are looking for particular niches (like NOT BDSM erotica or a coming out story), the pickings are slightly more slim. For a long time, what I relied upon to get my guy lovin’ was fanfiction. And actually, not a few authors have transitioned from fanfiction to published works. (Hellooooo 50 Shades of Grey, I’m looking at you!)
Today, my lovely friends, we are going to be talking about one fanfiction in particular that is my go-to for not only the best gay fiction I’ve ever read, and one of the best romances in general, but even the best audiobook I’ve ever listened to.
That’s right. Triple threat time.
 
This sacred and holy text is known as The Student Prince, written (and read!) by FayJay.
 
To steal the description off Archive of our Own:
A Modern day Merlin AU set at the University of St Andrews, featuring teetotal kickboxers, secret wizards, magnificent bodyguards of various genders, irate fairies, imprisoned dragons, crumbling gothic architecture, arrogant princes, adorable engineering students, stolen gold, magical doorways, attempted assassination, drunken students, shaving foam fights, embarrassing mornings after, The Hammer Dance, duty, responsibility, friendship and true love...
This story was inspired by the thought of Prince William of Wales (and indeed the current Max von Hapsburg) studying at the University of St Andrews; it is also, as the title suggests, at least a little inspired by the operetta 'The Student Prince'.
Now I know what you’re thinking. “But I’ve never seen BBC’s Merlin!” To that, I reply “what the heck are you standing around here for?! Go watch it!” But also, dear one, the story of Arthur and Merlin goes back far further than 2008, so technically the whole show is fan homage to the original myth? (Nailed it.) Because this story is so timeless, and the characters so well known, you don’t even need to watch BBC’s Merlin. Just read the fanfic. Honestly, this fanfic has become more Merlin to me than the show has.
It’s novel length, the audiobook is 15 hours long, it’s a complete fantastic love story about the Prince of England and his roommate-turned-friend and their college adventures. (In which they fall in love, and actual magic happens.) Yes, there is sex. Not loads of it, but what there is is HOT. More importantly, they don’t rush the love story, but the tension is off the frickin’ charts, practically from moment one.
I adore every single one of the characters. I tried to pick a favorite, and then my brain went “oh but so-and-so did THIS in that scene”, and I get a big goofy grin on my face, and feel the need to listen to it all over again. (I recommend listening, which is how I consumed it - I’m on my 4th go through - but reading would be just fine too.)
If you are new to fanfiction, but don’t mind long reads, this is a great place to start.
If you are new to gay romances and want a good intro story, this is a good place to start.
If you are looking to fall in love with a book… *gestures dramatically, ala Will Smith*
Trust me, guys, you’re going to LOVE IT.
Here’s the link, but it’s got a downloadable option so you can stick it on your e-reader if you want.
OK, I didn't even know fan fiction came in an audiobook format!! That's seriously cool. Thanks for sharing with us, Ari. ^_~ <3
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Elley the Book Otter is MOVING

Hello friends! I'm MOVING my blog from Blogger over to Wordpress. If you're following me via Bloglovin, you don't need to do a...