Down the TBR Hole #4


Another installment of the meme (challenge?) from Lisa at Lost in a Story.

So last week I got rid of a bunch of books, but then I've added another bunch since then. /sigh I am trying to be a bit more discriminating when adding books to my to read shelf, but... There are just so many good looking ones! I want to read them all!

Ready yet? Get set!

Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran
OK, this is the third Michelle Moran book in a row on this list. I kept Nefertiti and The Heretic Queen, so clearly I should let this one go... But it's rated 4.11 stars... And my friends liked it a lot... And it sounds so good! ...Drat.
Decision: Keep








Nobody's Princess (Nobody's Princess #1) by Esther Friesner
The top five or so reviews are all 2 and 3 stars, so I'm going to let this one go.
Decision: Go

The Frog Prince: A Fairy Tale for Consenting Adults by Stephen Mitchell
The blurb literally tells me nothing, so I'm not going to chase it down and instead am just going to boot it off my shelf.
Decision: Go



Elske (Tales of the Kingdom #4) by Cynthia Voigt
It says it's #4 in a series, but they all read as stand alones. I love love LOVED Jackaroo (and it's probably due for a reread) so I'm going to keep this one.
Decision: Keep








The Wings of a Falcon (Tales of the Kingdom #3) by Cynthia Voigt
Ditto the above. ;)
Decision: Keep








Song for the Basilisk by Patricia M. McKillip
The cover is just so pretty... *mesmerized*
Decision: Keep










Goa (Blood of the Goddess #1) by Kara Dalkey
I'm mostly letting this one go to keep my ratio of these 10 books up... If I'm willing to let it go for such a silly reason, obvs I don't need to keep it!
Decision: Go

The Sooterkin by Tom Gilling
This has an average rating of less than 3 stars, and I am basing my decision purely on that.
Decision: Go

The Godmother's Apprentice (Godmother #2) by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough
Keeping this solely because I liked the first book enough to actually write a review for it when I read it back in 2010, which was the time before I ever wrote reviews for things.
Decision: Keep






Watership Down by Richard Adams
I've got this on my list of 50 classics to read in the next 5 years for the Classics Club, so clearly I must keep it.
Decision: Keep









Starting: 1,778
Kept: 6
Exterminated: 4
New total: 1,774

OK, so I didn't do so well this time (I was really aiming for a 50% elimination rate), BUT, like last week, I'm going to keep going!

Kept: 35 
Daughter of Glass by Isabel Glass
Ice Land by Betsy Tobin
The Fool's Tale by Nicole Galland
Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy #1) by Robin Hobb
Fool's Errand (Tawny Man #1) by Robin Hobb
Shaman's Crossing (Soldier Son #1) by Robin Hobb
Firebird by R. Garcia y Robertson
Mad Morgan by Kerry Newcomb
The Sword in the Stone (The Once and Future King #1) by T.H. White
The Broken Crown (The Sun Sword #1) by Michelle West
Hades' Daughter (The Troy Game #1) by Sara Douglass
The Dragon and the Unicorn (Arthor #1) by A.A. Attanasio
The Amulet of Samarkand (Bartimaeus Sequence #1) by Jonathan Stroud
The Magic of Recluse (Saga of Recluse #1) by L.E. Modesitt Jr.
The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #2) by Rick Riordan
Norse Code by Greg Van Eekhout
Quicksilver by Stephanie Spinner
Changer (Athanor #1) by Jane Lindskold
The Year of the Floor (MaddAddam #2) by Margaret Atwood
The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi
The Tokaido Road by Lucia St. Clair Robson
The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia A. McKillip
The Changeling Sea by Patricia A. McKillip
In the Forests of Serre by Patricia A. McKillip
The Hidden Stars (The Rune of Unmaking #1) by Madeline Howard
House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
Agaat by Marlene Van Niekerk (translated by Michael Heyns)
I am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to Be Your Class President by Josh Lieb
Sea of Poppies (Ibis Trilogy #1) by Amitav Ghosh
A Disobedient Girl by Ru Freeman
You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start in the Morning by Celia Rivenbark
Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart
My Fair Godmother by Janette Rallison (translated by Cyril Laumonier)
Rhinegold by Stephan Grundy
What-the-Dickens: The Story of a Rogue Tooth Fairy by Gregory Maguire


Eliminated: 47
The Divided Crown by Isabel Glass
The Seeing Stone by Kevin Crossley-Holland
The Telling Pool by David Clement-Davies
Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy #2) by Robin Hobb
Assassin's Quest (Farseer Trilogy #3) by Robin Hobb
Golden Fool (Tawny Man #2) by Robin Hobb
Fool's Fate (Tawny Man #3) by Robin Hobb
Forest Mage (Soldier Son #2) by Robin Hobb
Renegade's Magic (Soldier Son #3) by Robin Hobb
The Canterbury Papers by Judith Koll Healey
The White Bull by Fred Saberhagen
Stealing Athena by Karen Essex
The Gates of Rome by Conn Iggulden
Nefer the Silent (Stone of Light #1) by Christian Jacq
The Wise Woman (Stone of Light #2) by Christian Jacq
Shadow of the Sphinx (Stone of Light #3) by Christian Jacq
The Ten Thousand: A Novel of Ancient Greece by Michael Curtis Ford
Gods and Legions: A Novel of the Roman Empire by Michael Curtis Ford
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
Troilus and Cressida by William Shakespeare
The Alchemyst (Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel) by Michael Scott
River of Gods (India 2047 #1) by Ian McDonald
Revenge of the Rose by Nicole Galland
The Riddle-Master of Hed (Riddle-Master #1) by Patricia A. McKillip
Od Magic by Patricia A. McKillip
Ombria in Shadow by Patricia A. McKillip
Tai-Pan by James Clavell
Natasha's Dance: A Cultural History of Russia by Orlando Figes
In the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick
The Bathhouse at Midnight: An Historical Survey of Magic and Divination in Russia by W.F. Ryan
The Island of the Day Before by Umberto Eco
Beneath the Pyramid (Judge of Egypt #1) by Christian Jacq
Fire in the Ocean: A New Testament by Curly Raphino
Shadows of Myth and Legend by E.J. Stevens
Turning Thirty-Twelve by Sandy James
Swoon at Your Own Risk by Sydney Salter
The Lost Children by Carolyn Cohagan
Juliet by Anne Fortier
Backseat Saints by Joshilyn Jackson
Evermore (The Immortals #1) by Alyson Noel
The Mermaid's Pendant by LeAnn Neal Reilly
Lady of the Butterflies by Fiona Mountain
The Privileges by Jonathan Dee
Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl by Belle de Jour
The Mermaid's Madness (Princess #2) by Jim C. Hines
Spinners by Donna Jo Napoli

NEW new total: 1,727

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elley the Book Otter is MOVING

Hello friends! I'm MOVING my blog from Blogger over to Wordpress. If you're following me via Bloglovin, you don't need to do a...