Down the TBR Hole #3



Another installment of the meme (challenge?) from Lisa at Lost in a Story.

Shanghai Girls by Lisa See
I got rid of the other Lisa See book I had on my to read shelf, so I'm going to keep this one. It looks like it had better ratings, and it still sounds pretty interesting to me.
Decision: Keep

Tomato Rhapsody: A Fable of Love, Lust & Forbidden Fruit by Adam Schell
Ehhhhh... I remember being really excited for this book before it was published, and I think I even bought a copy, but it just never felt like "Wow, I've got to read this now!" I'm going to take this off my to read list for now, but we'll see if I actually part with the physical copy if/when I come across it.
Decision: Go

Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden
YA dystopia, rated over 4 stars, and available on Kindle Unlimited... hmm, ok, I'll keep this on my list for now.
Decision: Keep

Blackbringer by Laini Taylor
I'm back on a faerie and fairies kick, and this is rated a bit over 4 stars, so I'm going to let it stick around. Hey, I may even bump it up the line for the next time I need a faerie fix!!
Decision: Keep

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
This is basically a classic at this point, so obvs I need to keep it.
Decision: Keep

Mad Kestrel by Missy Mastey
I really dithered over whether to keep or toss this one... It's got rather mediocre reviews, I'm currently reading The Pirate King's Daughter which may either fill my quota of young lady pirates or make me hungry for more, some of the reviews made it sound like it left people wanting a second book (which is good if there IS a second book, which I have been unable to find, so maybe bad...) I'm keeping this for now just because I feel so torn about it.
Decision: Keep

The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks
Bought this at some point and it has in inch thick layer of dust on it. Couldn't even be bothered to read the blurb on Goodreads fully, and figure if I found myself skimming that I'd better release this one back into the wild.
Decision: Go

Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips
The blurb made me smile. I love the idea of the Greek gods in modern times, stuck with (pretty lame) day jobs to make ends meet.
Decision: Keep

Couch World by Cathy Yardley
Meh. I don't even feel like writing about this one, so obvs it can go.
Decision: Go

Tam Lin by Pamela Dean
I love the story of Tam Lin, but according to the reviews the magic/faerie element in this one is suuuuper subtle, and it's more focused on the life of some Mary Sue (again, according to reviews) in college in the 70's. Eh, pass.
Decision: Go


Starting total: 1,804
Total kept: 6
Total eliminated: 4
New total To Read: 1,800


Bonus round: I kept reading through my list to decide to keep/eliminate some more, because I had some time to kill and felt like whittling this monster down further. You can probably tell from my "kept" pile that this was a time of mighty fairy tale retelling obsession, and I obviously still can't let it go, haha. I don't love short stories, so I did manage to make myself remove most of the anthologies... Though I still own many of them and am not in any hurry to remove them from my physical shelves, haha!

Kept: 29
Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier
The Ill-Made Mute by Cecelia Dart-Thornton
Sunshine by Robin McKinley
The Princess and the Hound by Mette Ivie Harrison
A Curse Dark as Gold by Elizabeth C. Bunce
The Squire's Tale by Gerald Morris
The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines
The Nightingale by Kara Dalkey
Fablehaven by Brandon Mull
A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. LeGuin
Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt
The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett
Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder
Perdido Street Station by China MiƩville
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels #1) by Ilona Andrews
Leviathan by Scott Westerfield
Boneshaker by Cherie Priest
The Diamond Age by Neil Stephenson
Snow Crash by Neil Stephenson
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Ringworld by Larry Niven
Urban Shaman by C.E. Murphy
The World Above: A Retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk and Robin Hood (Once Upon a Time) by Cameron Dokey
Shadowfever (Fever #5) by Karen Marie Moning
Seeing Redd (The Looking Glass Wars #2) by Frank Beddor
Vision in White (Bride Quartet #1) by Nora Roberts
Nefertiti by Michelle Moran
The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran


Chucked down the rabbit hole (enjoy, Wonderland!): 17
Ash by Malinda Lo
Silver Birch, Blood Moon edited by Ellen Datlow
Kissing the Witch edited by Emma Donoghue
Red as Blood, or Tales from the Sisters Grimmer by Tanith Lee
The Rose and the Beast edited by Francesca Lia Bock
The Fox Woman by Kij Johnson
Summers at Castle Auburn by Sharon Shinn
Cybele's Secret (Wildwood #2) by Juliet Marillier
Lord of Light by Roger Zelazney
The Digging Leviathan by James P. Blaylock

Scar Night by Alan Campbell
The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau
White Chapel Gods by S.M. Peters

Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin
The Hunchback Assignments by Arthur Slade
The Cabinet of Wonders by Marie Rutkoski
Voices of Dragons by Carrie Vaughn
My Fake Wedding by Mina Ford

New total: 1,782

1 comment:

  1. Thoughts:
    -City of Ember was actually really good, but I'd listen to it because the performance is fantastic.
    Ash was awful. Chuck that shit.
    Tomorrow When the war Began was decent. I mostly read it so I could watch the movie, which was also decent.
    I didn't care for Joy Luck Club all that much, but it could be because I read it in school.

    ReplyDelete

Elley the Book Otter is MOVING

Hello friends! I'm MOVING my blog from Blogger over to Wordpress. If you're following me via Bloglovin, you don't need to do a...