Down the TBR Hole #1

Web
Blogger Lisa at Lost in a Story had this great idea that she calls "Down the TBR Hole." I heard about this over on The Ravenclaw Library's blog and was inspired to join in!

Here's the scoop:

You know this feeling: your Goodreads TBR pile keeps growing and growing, and it seems like there is no light at the end of the tunnel. You keep adding, but you add more than you actually read. And then when you’re scrolling through your list, you realize that you have no idea what half the books are about and why you added them!

It woks like this:
  • Go to your goodreads to-read shelf.
  • Order on ascending date added.
  • Take the first 5 (or 10 if you’re feeling adventurous) books
  • Read the synopses of the books
  • Decide: keep it or should it go?
Remember to keep track of where you left off so you know where to start the following week! My goal is to do 10 a week. Right now my Want to Read shelf on Goodreads is at 2,555 - which is a MONSTROUS amount of books, and even if I never added another book (which is, frankly, not going to happen) I don't think I could finish them all in my lifetime. They go all the back to 2009, so some of them have been hanging on there for almost 10 years... Heh, yeah, time to clean it out.

With this in addition to the #BeatTheBacklist challange, who knows - maybe I'll get my TBR pile down so a somewhat sort of manageable size.

Without further ado, here we go!

Dune by Frank Herbert
I mean, this one is basically a classic, plus I own a physical copy of it.
Decision: Keep









By Mercedes Lackey: Winds of Fate, Winds of Change, Winds of Fury, The Oathbound, Oathbreakers, Oathblood, The Black Gryphon, Storm Warning, Storm Rising, Storm Breaking, The Silver Gryphon, Owlflight, Owlsight, The Lark & The Wren, Owl Knight, The Elven Bane, Elvenblood, Alta, Sanctuary, Elvenborn, The Robin & The Kestrel, If I Pay Thee Not in Gold, The Eagle & The Nightingales, Bedlam's Bard, Four & Twenty Blackbirds, Knight of Ghosts and Shadows, The Phoenix Unchained, The Phoenix Endangered
OK, this is a giant list of 28 (if I counted right?) books, but I'm going to just count it as one and make a mass decision to release them all back into the wild. I love Mercedes Lackey and the Valdemar books I've read (The Last Herald Mage Trilogy, The Arrows of the Queen trilogy, The 500 Kingdoms series, all her Elemental Mages books...) but the woman just has too extensive of a backlog to try to read them all, and I frankly just don't care for some of her series/trilogies. If these stumble across my way later in life and I feel compelled to read them, I will, but for now:
Decision: Go

Babyville by Jane Green
I think I'd added this after reading a few other books by Jane Green.
Decision: Go

Bones of Faerie by Janni Lee Simner
Combines faerie lore with a post-apocalypic world - what's not to love? Plus, Tamora Pierce reviewed it and rated it 5 stars.
Decision: Keep








Graceling by Kristin Cashore
I own a physical copy of this book, and my husband really liked the series.
Decision: Keep









The Faerie Path by Allan Freewin Jones
Didn't get very good reviews.
Decision: Go









Julie & Julia by Julie Powell
Added this when the movie came out and I devoured everything Julia. Eh, I saw the movie, good enough.
Decision: Go








The Trouble With Magic by Madelyn Alt
Cozy mystery, I'll read it someday if it comes across my path and I feel like it, but it really doesn't need to stay on my Goodreads list.
Decision: Go

The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood
This is one of my BFFs favorite books, so I'd better keep it and actually read it someday.
Decision: Keep








Mistress of the Sun by Sandra Gulland
I must have been on a historical fiction kick, not sure why I added this way back in 2009... Haha.
Decision: Go








Total Kept: 4 I did so good you guys!! Got my To Read shelf from 2,555 down to 2,524. Only a BILLION more weeks to go! Hahaha! Since I'm in the mood to purge, I'm actually going to go keep going so next week I (hopefully) start with a number smaller than 2,524. I'll mention a list of ones I decided to keep (but won't post covers, my decision making process, or titles of ones I deleted, in the interest of not boring my few readers to tears) and then go through the next 10.

2 comments:

  1. OMG... all I can say is that I LOVE, LOVE this idea! So doing this. I haven't looked at my Goodreads, but I'm guessing that dang TBR is prob close to yours. Maybe not quite that many but it still feels like a mountain! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually need to do this again today, because I said every Friday, but I've been weeding through all week without posting about it. So now I'm like... I don't know, do I just post tomorrow saying my new total and how many I got rid of? LOL. I ended up sort alphabetically by author and starting to plug my way through. Down to 1,836 books on my To Read shelf! haha.

      Delete

Elley the Book Otter is MOVING

Hello friends! I'm MOVING my blog from Blogger over to Wordpress. If you're following me via Bloglovin, you don't need to do a...