Book Review: Mister Hockey (Hellions Angels #1) by Lia Riley

Mister Hockey

Author: Lia Riley
Series: Hellions Angels, Book 1
Publisher: Avon Impulse
Published: August 22, 2017
Paperback, 222 pages
Goodreads  Amazon

Summary: Her biggest fantasy is about to become a reality. . .

Jed West is Mr. Hockey. The captain of the NHL’s latest winning team, the Denver Hellions–and the hottest player on the ice—at least according to every magazine. .and Breezy Angel. Breezy has been drooling over Jed at games for years, and he plays a starring role in her most toe-curling fantasies. But dirty dreams don’t come true, right?

Then Jed saunters through the doors of her library, a last minute special guest for a summer reading event, and not only is he drop dead gorgeous up close, his personality is straight up swoon-worthy. He even comes to the rescue when she has an R-rated “Super Book Worm” costume malfunction. But when he mistakenly assumes she’s more into books than pucks, she’s too flustered to correct his mistake. And then comes a big kiss, followed by a teensy-tiny problem. Jed’s dating policy is simple: Never date a fan.

So what’s a fangirl going to have to do to convince her ultimate crush that he’s become less of a perfect fantasy, and more like the perfect man. . .for her?


Rating: 5 stars
Review: This book is so crazy good. Not only is Jed a super hot hockey star, he's also a genuinely good guy. Swoon. And like a totally swoon-worthy leading man isn't enough, Breezy is fantastic. I laughed out loud so many times because Breezy reminds me SO MUCH of one of my librarian friends (I'm looking at you, Peekaboo). I actually finished this book and then basically chucked it at said friend's head and commanded she read it. "It's basically a book about you!" (Except she has not yet found her hot hockey god.) So check off both boxes, because swoon for the leading man and melt for the leading lady.

The side characters were also amazing. The conflict between Breezy's sister Neve and Jed's coach Tor makes me shake the book and yell "but why do they hate each other so much!?!?!" (Guess I'm going to find out when I read the next book in the series, mwahaha!) The rest of Breezy's family is great too, and I CAN NOT WAIT to read more about her feisty grandma, with her hockey enthusiasm and her "Green Meanie" mixed drinks. My goal in life is to be a grandma just like Breezy's.

My only issue with this book is that I feel like the main conflict (Jed has a policy that he never dates fans) isn't really spelled out or made a big deal of in the book itself. The only reason I knew this was a big uh-oh for our leading couple is because it IS spelled out in the blurb on the back cover of the book. I think this could have been addressed a bit more directly to make it clear that this is a serious source of conflict, which would make the drama that arises later in the book make more sense and seem a less blown all out of proportion. That being said, oh mama, this book is great.

This is the first book in the series, and upon finishing it I immediately went and bought the next two books, Head Coach and Virgin Territory immediately, so you can expect to see reviews for those books coming soon as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elley the Book Otter is MOVING

Hello friends! I'm MOVING my blog from Blogger over to Wordpress. If you're following me via Bloglovin, you don't need to do a...