Book Review: Acting on Impulse (Love on Cue #1) by Mia Sosa

Acting on Impulse

Author: Mia Sosa
Series: Love on Cue, Book 1
Publisher: Avon Impulse
Published: October 31, 2017
Paperback, 400 pages

Goodreads  Amazon

Summary: After a very public breakup with a media-hungry politician, fitness trainer Tori Alvarez escapes to Aruba for rest, relaxation, and copious amounts of sex on the beach—the cocktail, that is. She vows to keep her vacation a man-free zone but when a cute guy is seated next to her on the plane, Tori can’t resist a little harmless flirting.

Hollywood heartthrob Carter Stone underwent a dramatic physical transformation for his latest role and it’s clear his stunning seat mate doesn’t recognize the man beneath the shaggy beard and extra lean frame. Now Carter needs help rebuilding his buff physique and Tori is perfect for the job. It doesn’t hurt that she makes his pulse pound in more ways than one.

Sparks are flying, until a pesky paparazzo reveals Carter’s identity. Tori is hurt and pissed. She wants nothing to do with another man in the limelight, but she’s still got to whip him into shape. Can Carter convince Tori he’s worth the threat to her privacy that comes with dating a famous actor, or will Tori chisel him down to nothing before he even gets the chance?

Grab the popcorn…
Rating: 4 stars

Review: This is a sloooooow burn, but so worth it. It's told in a dual first-person present tense POV. I don't normally love the first person present tense, but Mia Sosa makes it work here. I do like that we get both Carter and Tori's POV as well, so we get to know both of them intimately.

I loved Carter. He's so cute and funny, and the way he falls into insta-love with (and declares to the reader he is going to marry) the woman in 12D made me giggle, and I thought it was funny the way he was referring to her as "my wife" until he found out she had a boyfriend (supposedly). Now that is some #instalove I can get behind! It's so refreshing to read a book where the man falls head over heels for the woman and she takes some time to come around, haha.

I also really liked Tori, and her complicated relationship with her family really touched my heart. Her struggles with her need to eat healthfully and care for the health of her family clashes with the type of food they serve at their restaurant and the role food plays in their culture, and I love the way this is resolved. (I won't say more than that for fear of spoilers - you'll just have to read the book!) Tori is so tough and sassy, and I love the first few sessions of her training regimen with Carter. Again, that's all I'll say, but... Zumba. Pfft, hee hee hee. <3

Acting on Impulse is fun and flirty and hot as hell, but it felt like it dragged on a little longer than it needed to. Towards the end I actually started yelling at the book and giving it a frustrated shake or two, because it seemed like obstacles and misunderstandings kept popping up in really unbelievable ways, and both main characters really seemed to be blowing hot and cold and blowing things all out of proportions for no reason. Some of the sex scenes were a little squidgy for me, too, especially some of Carter's dirty talk. It just ventured into a place I find less hot and more ick, which is likely just a matter of taste. The first two-thirds of this book are a solid 5 star rating, but the final third (or maybe just the final quarter) dropped it to a 4 star rating for me.

This is the first book in the series, Pretending He's Mine, came out last month and you'd better believe I immediately went and bought it upon finishing Acting on Impulse. I always feel like how fast I buy other books in the series is a pretty good indicator of how great a book way. :) There is some great lead up in this first book in the series to very subtly set the stage for the second book, but I'm betting each can be read as a stand alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elley the Book Otter is MOVING

Hello friends! I'm MOVING my blog from Blogger over to Wordpress. If you're following me via Bloglovin, you don't need to do a...